World affairs: Facebook ‘being investigated by FTC for Cambridge Analytica scandal

After British TV Channel 4 made an undercover investigation over British consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica for use of 50 million facebook users data to rig polls across the globe including US presidential poll in 2016.

Facebook could be investigate by US Federal Trade Commission for this data breach.

British and European parliaments have called Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to give a testimony over that.

According to Bloomberg, Zuckerberg not taken part on emergencial meeting on Facebook HQ in Silicon Valley. He’s keep quiet over that.

Cambridge Analytica boss Alexander Nix was suspended by the firm today.

Advertisements

US-Russia: US government punishes 19 Russians over vote meddling and cyber-attacks

After months of deadlock. US government announces a new round of sanctions against Russia over US2016 election meddling. It include 13 individuals charged last month by Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin accused the Russians of “destructive cyber-attacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure”.

He said the sanctions would target “ongoing nefarious attacks” by Russia.

Five insititutions like Russian Military Intelligence Agence GRU and Internet Research Agency led by oligarch Yevgeny Prigozhin

Otherwise, Russian officials has criticises it.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Moscow was calm about the new sanctions, according to Interfax news agency.

Mr Ryabkov said Moscow had already begun drawing up retaliatory measures.

Meanwhile Mr Prigozhin said he was unconcerned by the sanctions on him because he did not have any business interests linked to the US, Russian media reported.

“I have been sanctioned maybe three or four times – I’m tired of counting, I can’t remember. I don’t have any business in the United States or with Americans. I’m not worried by this. Except that now I will stop going to McDonald’s,” he was quoted as saying by RIA news agency.

World affairs: US cautious over North Korea nuclear disarmament

After South Korean envoys met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for 4-hour dinner. Seoul hails it saying Pyongyang is already for talks over their nuclear programme. But US still cautious over that.

The US president Donald Trump said “the statements coming out of South Korea and North Korea have been very positive”, but also said it might be a “false hope”.

South Korea earlier said the subject was raised when its officials met the North’s leader, Kim Jong-un, on Monday.

Seoul said Mr Kim was also open to US talks, and would pause weapons testing.

Trump opinion:

Speaking to reporters at Washington’s Oval Office, he said: “We have come certainly a long way, at least rhetorically, with North Korea.

“The statements coming out of South Korea and North Korea have been very positive. That would be a great thing for the world.”

North Korea says:

The North’s KCNA news agency said Mr Kim had “warmly welcomed” the delegates and held an “openhearted talk” with them.

It said the dinner took place “in a warm atmosphere overflowing with compatriotic feelings”.

What’s next

South Korea and North Korea has agreed to hold a summit between Kim Jong-un and South Korean president Moon Jae-in in April for that.

World affairs: US and North Korea trades new provocations

After UN’ Security Council approves a resolution with more sanctions to North Korea in cause of their nuclear programme. Pyongyang’s envoy to UN has accused Washington of opting for “political, economic and military confrontation”.

US President Donald Trump said the move was nothing compared to what would have to happen to deal with North Korea.

The UN sanctions are an attempt to starve the country of fuel and income for its weapons programmes.

The measures restrict oil imports and ban textile exports, and were approved after North Korea’s sixth and largest nuclear test earlier this month.

Han Tae Song, North Korea’s ambassador to the UN, said he “categorically rejected” what he called an “illegal resolution”.

North Korea threatens US with a greatest pain.

Conclusion: The world isn’t calm with North Korea and US fights for nothing.

US: House of representatives approves new sanctions to Russia

The ties between Russia and US has new low today.  US’ House of Representatives has approved a new bill which tightens sanctions againts Iran, North Korea and Russia by 419 to 3.

It needs to be passed through the Senate before it can be sent on to the president to be signed.

The White House says it is reviewing the bill, and it is unclear whether the president will veto it.

“While the president supports tough sanctions on North Korea, Iran and Russia, the White House is reviewing the House legislation and awaits a final legislative package for the president’s desk,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.

Prior to the vote, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said such measures would plant a “dangerous mine” under the foundation of ties.

Mr Ryabkov said: “All this is very worrying. We can see no signs that that Russophobe hysteria that has engulfed the entire US Congress is dying down.”

After it passed, Russian MP Leonid Slutsky said the sanctions “undermine the prospects for the restoration of Russian-American relations and further complicate them for the foreseeable future”.

“Opportunities for diplomatic manoeuvring” are now “extremely” small, he told Russia’s Interfax news agency.

Conclusion: Further handshakes between Trump and Putin to save US-Russia ties as soon as possible,

Middle East: Qatar condemns Saudi refusal to negotiate over demands

The row among Qatar and Saudi Arabia has a new chapter today. The Qatari Foreign Minister, Sheikh Mohammed al-Thani said the stance was “contrary to the principles” of international relations.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrein and UAE has backlash Qatar by their ties with Turkey and Iran and allegations of sponsor terrorism.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who has sought to resolve the crisis, acknowledged that some elements would “be very difficult for Qatar to meet”, but that there were “significant areas which provide a basis for ongoing dialogue”.

But after holding talks with Mr Tillerson in Washington on Tuesday, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir was asked by journalists if the demands were non-negotiable. He replied: “Yes.”

“It’s very simple. We made our point. We took our steps and it’s up to the Qataris to amend their behaviour. Once they do, things will be worked out. But if they don’t, they will remain isolated,” he said.

“If Qatar wants to come back into the [Gulf Co-operation Council] pool, they know what they have to do.”

Jubeir stressed that the decision to sever ties with Qatar was made after taking into account the history of its behaviour, which he alleged included harbouring known terrorists and funding extremist groups throughout the region.

Qatar’s foreign minister, who met Mr Tillerson at the state department later on Tuesday, called the Saudi position “unacceptable”.

“This is contrary to the principles that govern international relations because you can’t just present lists of demands and refuse to negotiate,” Sheikh Mohammed was quoted as saying in a ministry statement.

Sheikh Mohammed said the US agreed the demands had to be “reasonable and actionable”, and that the allegations against Qatar also needed to be discussed.

“We agree that the State of Qatar will engage in a constructive dialogue with the parties concerned if they want to reach a solution and overcome this crisis.”

Conclusion: Call to Trump to solve it.